Four Seasons Hotel Austin to Host 8th Annual Party for the Ponies
Kentucky Derby festivities provide fun for all, benefit Make-A-Wish
A spring staple since 2010, the Hotel’s 2018 Derby Day event takes place Saturday, May 5 2018 from 2:00 to 6:00 pm in the Lobby Lounge. Guests will enjoy race-themed décor, live music, Mint Juleps, a Derby hat pop-up shop, costume contests and much more as part of the USD 25 entry fee.
Full details of the day’s festivities – which benefit Make-A-Wish of Central and South Texas – are below:
- Hatbox Pop-up Shop – Back by popular demand, Hatbox: A Modern Haberdashery in downtown Austin will once again host a Derby pop-up shop in the Hotel’s lobby. In addition to complimentary custom hat fittings, guests will be able to browse and buy from a large selection of traditional wide brim ladies' Derby hats, high-quality fascinators, panamas and other fashionable headwear sourced from around the world.
- Live Music – Known for their easy rapport with audiences, the trio behind the Matt Wilson Band will entertain guests with their distinctive blend of classic soul, funk, rock and R&B – all interspersed, of course, with the race’s traditional trumpet fanfare.
- Contests, Trivia and Prizes – The winning horse won’t be the only one to take home a prize. Throughout the afternoon, guests can take part in Derby-themed trivia and contests, including the always-popular Best Seersucker Suit and Best Hat competitions. Admission includes one Trifecta Contest betting chit, giving even those in everyday attire the chance to win valuable prizes such as an overnight stay at Four Seasons Hotel Austin and a Hatbox gift certificate. Additional Trifecta chits may be purchased for USD 5 each, with 100 percent of the betting proceeds going to Make-A-Wish.
- Kentucky-Inspired Cocktails – Between races, spectators can sidle up to a build-your-own Mint Julep Bar for a Maker’s Mark Mint Julep served in a take-home souvenir cup, included with the cost of entry. Other Kentucky-inspired signature drinks, such as a Kentucky Mule (bourbon, lime, ginger beer and mint) and Peach Julep (bourbon, Fredericksburg peach syrup and mint), will be available for USD 14 each.
- Festive Food – The day’s food specials will also pay homage to the unique tastes of the Bluegrass State. Menu choices include light bites such as traditional tea sandwiches along with a hearty Hot Brown sandwich made with smoked turkey, house-cured bacon, roasted tomatoes and mornay sauce on sourdough.
Seating is first-come, first-served, and those interested in attending are encouraged to arrive early as the event has sold out the past few years. For more information, call the Lobby Lounge at 512 685 8150.