10 Reasons to Visit Bengaluru
Bengaluru, also known as Bangalore, is the capital of India's southern Karnataka state. The nerve centre of India's high-tech industry, the city is also notable for its abundant green parks. Known both as India’s Garden City and its Silicon Valley, this cosmopolitan city beguiles with its blend of rich history and 21st-century buzz. While the old palaces and forts bear testimony to Bengaluru’s cultural stronghold, new destinations such as Four Seasons Hotel Bengaluru, with its modern outlook and design, ring in the new. The city is certainly at a cross-road and these are our top 10 reasons to visit this prize destination in Southern India.
- Weather: Its temperate climate is one the biggest reasons Bengaluru is on everyone’s top places to visit. With temperatures rising around the world, Bangaloreans can still boast of pretty great weather all year round and even on the hottest days, a cool breeze is a pleasant reprieve. April is the hottest month in Bengaluru with an average temperature of 86°F (30°C) and the coldest is December at 73°F (23°C).
- Greenery: Though old timers will reminisce about the good old Garden City days, Bengaluru still has an impressive green expanse. Choose from the city’s central breathing space Cubbon Park or the shaded Lalbagh, where an annual flower show is something to look forward to.
- Performing Arts - Visit Nrityagram Dance Village for a never seen before experience. Set up by Protima Bedi, this place is a different world of its own. The residential school offers training in Indian classical dance forms – including Odissi, Mohiniattam, Kathak, Bharatnatyam, Kuchipudi, Kathakali and Manipuri.
- Art Scene - Trawl the art galleries and be transported to a magical place. National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA), the expansive white structure located on Palace Road, exudes a certain kind of warmth, yet has its own special aura. With all its greenery, the campus is nothing less than an oasis. After you are done with seeing the massive collection on display or an ongoing exhibition, enjoy sitting under the flourishing trees including sandalwood, raintrees and banyan.
- Beer: After all, this is the true pub capital of India and has a whole bunch of microbreweries with excellent craft beer. With its great artisanal brews Bengaluru is a beer lovers’ paradise. The former Pub City is now vying for the title of brewery capital of India.
- Food: Name a cuisine and you will find it in Bengaluru, from modern and exotic to traditional South Indian flavours. Choose from crisp dosas or perfect pizzas, sushi to street food. The bustling gastronomy of the city is sure to leave you delighted. Food trails in the old parts of the city such as Malleswaram and Basavangudi are reminiscent of yester years. Follow these trails with a steaming cup of frothy South Indian filter coffee at Brahmin’s Café.
- Architecture: Spanking new high rises dot Bengaluru’s skyline showcasing the best in modern architectural design juxtaposed with heritage buildings such as the Bangalore Palace and Vidhana Soudha. If art and design is your thing, then Bengaluru should be on your list of must visit destinations. Palaces like Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace and Bangalore Fort stand as testimony to the cultural heartbeat of the city.
- Weekend Getaways: Bengaluru enjoys the perfect location, just a few hours’ drive (on excellent roads) around pristine hills and forests. Drive down to Mysore city and explore the architecture, or head to Coorg for an invigorating weekend on the coffee estates. Enjoy some thrills? Then take a safari and try to spot one of India’s big cats in their natural habitat.
- Shopping: From malls with the best in high street brands to small boutiques and flea markets, Bengaluru has enough to keep even the most determined shopaholic occupied for hours. Scout for fragrant spices, sparkling trinkets on Commercial Street and soak up the luxe environs of UB City or Phoenix Mall.
- Nightlife: Excellent food and drinks bolstered by foot thumping music is Bengaluru’s USP, walk into the city’s popular watering holes and you may strike up conversations with an eclectic mix of people, from CEOs to students, IT professionals and start up gurus. The perfect setting for an unforgettable time.
Four Seasons Hotel Bengaluru at Embassy ONE