Michael A. Crawford
President, Portfolio Management and Owner Relations
Mike Crawford is responsible for organisational effectiveness in critical growth areas across Four Seasons to drive greater efficiencies and strengthen the company’s position as the world’s leading luxury hospitality company.
“As a company with worldwide operations, we need to have a global view, putting high performance cross-functional teams and resources in the right places, creating a structured decision-making process, and empowering people to get the job done.”
With oversight of design, construction, procurement and project planning he leads the intricate process of bringing development projects to fruition, including new builds, strategic conversions and adaptive reuses of historic buildings in collaboration with the company’s individual hotel owners. Mike is also responsible for the company’s capital planning process, which includes evolving the existing Four Seasons portfolio though renovations and ongoing product enhancements.
As a management company, Four Seasons relies on strong partnerships with property owners, and stewardship of these critical relationships is a key responsibility for Mike and his team. Building on the company’s reputation as a business partner of choice for luxury hotel and residential projects, Mike is focused on helping property owners realise the full value of their investment and relationship with Four Seasons.
Mike also oversees the company’s global residential program. This has been a successful growth area for Four Seasons since it first branded private residences in the 1980s, with property developers and investors increasingly placing priority on mixed-use developments.
Where else does the future lie? “If we continue to affirm our position as a partner of choice, and build on our past successes while remaining flexible in a changing world and nimble in our strategies, then there really is no limit to what we can achieve as a company, and on behalf of our hotel owners.”
- At Four Seasons: Joined Four Seasons in the newly created role of President, Asia Pacific in 2014 with responsibility for all business activities in the region; assumed current role in 2016.
- Previously: 24 years with the Walt Disney company, rising through the ranks in the US and Asia, including assignments as Vice President International Development then Vice President New Business Development, and most recently as Senior Vice President/General Manager of the Shanghai Disney Resort.
- Education: After receiving an undergraduate degree at Bowling Green State University in his native Ohio, Mike earned an MBA with honours from the Mendoza College of Business at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana.
- Before he was a Four Seasons executive, he was a Four Seasons guest: Mike says he’ll always have a soft spot for Four Seasons Hotel Singapore, having stayed there frequently during his time with Disney. “When you have serious business on the agenda, there’s something truly comforting about checking into a hotel where they know you, and where you can count on everything being taken care of so you can focus on your work.”
- Favourite holiday destination: “Our family trip to South Africa was incredible – we did the safaris of course, but it’s the lively culture and warmth of the people that have stayed with us.” Otherwise, Mike is happy any place where he can get in a few rounds of golf and tennis.
- First thing he does when moving to a new city: After unfurling the familiar blue and gold banner in his new office, he looks up local members of the Notre Dame Alumni Network so he can find out where to catch broadcasts of his beloved Fighting Irish college (American) football games.