Four Seasons Resort and Residences Whistler
- 4591 Blackcomb Way, Whistler, British Columbia, V0N 1B4, Canada
Four Seasons Tenure
- Since 1997
- First Four Seasons Assignment: Four Seasons Hotel New York
- Four Seasons Resort Lanai at Manele Bay; Four Seasons Resort Lanai, The Lodge at Koele; Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai; Four Seasons Hotel Boston; Per Se, New York; Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi; The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel); Four Seasons Hotel Austin; Four Seasons Hotel New York
- Born in New York, raised in Vermont, USA
- Associate's Degree, Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York
- English, Turkish, and learning Mandarin
Originally from New York, Chef Eren Guryel grew up in his family's log cabin steak house in Quechee, Vermont, which was on the way to the largest ski resort in the eastern United States, Killington. Initially choosing to study aeronautical engineering, he found himself working the summers in kitchens, which fueled his desire to pursue a professional chef career instead of designing aircraft. He made the switch to the prestigious Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York, where he earned an associate’s degree in culinary arts.
Eren has a philosophy of keeping it authentic, fresh, simple and seasonal, using only the best ingredients, and pairs it with his passion for cooking. “I enjoy being hospitable and making people happy,” says Eren. “My parents were always great hosts and when we would have guests come to our restaurant for dinner their cooking paired with their hospitality was almost as if it were a formula for magic.”
While working at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, he met his wife Qin, an English language instructor at the University of Nanjing, who is now teaching him Mandarin. Together they have two daughters, Ayla and Oya. When he is not in the kitchen, Eren works on his organic vegetable garden with his kids who have come to understand that good things take time. Eren is excited to be back on the mountains, whether he's on skis or his mountain bike.