Closing Out 2023 in Legendary Style: An Iconic Hotel Bar Line-Up for Avra’s Great Sunday Club at Four Seasons Astir Palace Hotel Athens
Raise a glass to togetherness at Avra as the last Great Sunday Club of the year brings award-winning talent to the Athens Riviera. December 10, 2023 from 6:00 to 10:00 pm at destination bar Avra will see bar history recreated as previous team members of one of the most iconic hotel bars in the world at The Savoy London join the prestigious team from The St Regis Venice for one night only. Under Avra’s glittering lights, discover a dazzling line-up of drinks, merriment and festive magic at Four Seasons Astir Palace Hotel Athens.
Representing the team that won the legendary Savoy Hotel the “World’s Best Bar” accolade, Anna Sebastian and Declan McGurk will be showcasing classic flavours and creativity inspired by the award-winning Boatyard Distillery from their Martini Trolley. Drawing on the sumptuous splendour of a 17th century former palace now boasting a mesmerising art collection and world-class hospitality, The St Regis Venice team, Facundo Gallegos and Ludwig Negri, will be crafting divine drinks infused with flavours from modern yet timeless brand, Mancino Vermouth.
“We’re beyond excited to welcome such iconic hotel bar talent to Avra,” comments Avra Bar Manager Manon Kapfer. “After some incredible collaborations this year for Great Sunday Club, it feels thrilling to close out a fantastic 2023 celebrating what we all stand for: the unique and atmospheric hotel bar experience. We’re looking forward to raising a toast to friendship, creativity and luxurious hospitality.”
Discover the Drinks
Declan and Anna’s Martini Trolley
- Classic Dry Martini - made with either Boatyard Double Gin or Boatyard Vodka, this elegant favourite includes the fragrant flavours of Orange Bitters and the iconic stick of lemons, olives and onions.
- Dec’s Martini - a chilled Martini twist with Boatyard Double Gin, Americano Cocchi and Mezcal. “No physical garnish, more a spiritual one,” adds Dec with a smile.
- Anna’s Gimlet – with a nod to a classic Gimlet, this elegant twist features Boatyard Double Gin as the base with elegant surprises in every sip.
Facundo and Ludwig’s Mancino Magic
- Santa Maria Bloody Mary - a punchy flavour-packed favourite crafted with Horseradish Vodka, Tomato Juice, Verjus, and Spices.
- The Negroni Desire - made with Gin, Mancino Vermouth Blend, Calvados Reserve and Bitter, this is refreshing take on a sophisticated classic.
- Canal Art - expect the unexpected with this artful combination of Mezcal, Mancino Vermouth Bianco Ambrato, Orange Curaçao, Artichoke Cordial and Lime.
- AW Vision - get ready for a fragrant exploration of flavour and creativity with Mancino Vermouth Rosso Amaranto, Sunflowers Seeds Baijiu, Roasted Pineapple and Pepper Shrub
Meet the Team
- Declan McGurk – Landing the role of Bar Manager at The American Bar, The Savoy in early 2013 was a career-long ambition for Declan as “there’s no other bar like it.” Working closely with the team, he strove to honour the great bar’s heritage while giving it a contemporary edge, an ambition that saw him promoted to the role of Director of Bars in 2018 and crowned Class Magazine Bar Manager of the Year in 2019. In 2020, Declan felt the call of his Irish roots and joined The Boatyard Distillery in County Fermanagh, Northwest Ireland, as head of global development for the premium spirit brand.
- Anna Sebastian – During her 15 years working in-house at The Savoy and The Langham running the bars and looking after the beverage programs, Anna’s accolades include nominations and wins at Tales of the Cocktail such as Best International Bar Team at the Beaufort Bar, Imbibe Team of the Year, Class Bar Manager of the Year and Class Menu of the Year. She led her teams to the Top 50 Bars list and features in the CODE Most Influential Women in Hospitality and Drinks International Top 100 People lists. She is the founder of Celebrate Her, a non-profit supporting womxn in the hospitality industry and runs her own hospitality consultancy company.
- Facundo Gallegos – As director of bars and restaurant at The St. Regis Venice, Gallegos draws on the more than 20 years of experience, industry knowledge and innovation that saw him named one of the world’s top five bartenders at the IBA World Cocktail Competition in Beijing in 2012. Inspired by Venice’s iconic cultural legacy, Gallegos and his teams create an experiential journey of the senses featuring hand-crafted, artisanal cocktails made with fresh, locally sourced ingredients.
- Ludwig Negri – A passionate bartender with over 12 years of experience in the hospitality industry, Italian-born Negri has worked in some of the most prestigious and exclusive hotels and bars in Italy, the UK, Spain, and the US, finessing his mixology skills and making the unique flavours of each destination his own. Head of Bars at The St. Regis Venice since 2019, he’s helped build some of the city’s most inventive cocktail menus after the newly renovated Hotel reopened.
Boatyard Distillery and Mancino Vermouth
Using a double infusion of juniper lends Boatyard Distillery gin its distinctive flavour profile. Situated on the banks of Lough Erne, in Northwest Ireland, The Boatyard Distillery is a family-run and sustainably-minded initiative founded in 2016 and now recognised as a favourite of top industry professionals and the world’s finest bartenders. Born in 2011, Mancino Vermouth is situated in a small family-run distillery in Asti, Piedmont and uses only the finest hand-picked spices and botanicals to craft an authentic, classic style vermouth. Founder Giancarlo Mancino is dedicated to bringing back the vermouth of the 1900s, to be enjoyed either on its own or as the perfect symphonic companion in cocktails.
Athens Rum and Whiskey Festival
Further decadent drinking awaits on December 8 and 9, 2023 as part of Athens Rum and Whiskey Festival. Lovers of the legendary tipples can head downtown to discover Avra’s takeover room for the two days of the festival. Alongside rum- and whiskey-based cocktails, other mouth-watering treats include a chocolate fountain, cotton candy and sweet surprises from Executive Pastry Chef Michalis Chatzikalimeris.
To enjoy Avra’s last takeover of the year, call +30 210 890 1081 or visit its Instagram page @avra_athens.
Four Seasons Astir Palace Hotel Athens