Five Must-Do Destination Experiences in Koh Samui
Abundant with coconut plantations, Koh Samui is filled with beautiful sights and secrets, waiting to be discovered. Driving around the island is recommended, combined with short strolls and hikes to scenic spots. Just beyond the island, the Gulf of Thailand also offers incredible explorations.
At Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui, guests can organise a tailor-made program of bespoke experiences with just the click of a button. By downloading the Four Seasons App, guests can chat real-time with the Resort team and design the perfect stay with family and friends. Here are our Resort Manager Hannes Schneider's favourite destination experiences.
1. “Explore Koh Samui’s natural beauty and visit one of the world’s famous National Marine Park – Angthong – where you can dive or snorkel to explore a variety of tropical fish and corals,” he recommends.
2. “Experience our 11.2-metre (37 foot) private yacht, Minor Affair, chartered for island hopping,” suggests Hannes. “Perhaps you’d like a sunset champagne cruise to enjoy the stunning views of the Gulf, or a cruise over to the neighbouring island of Koh Phangan for a full moon party with your friends?”
3. For a break in the serenity, visit the island’s busiest beach – Chaweng Beach – where dining, shopping, and nightlife come together. “Choose a spot on the three-kilometre (9,900 feet) beach to lay down your towel and relax. Vendors selling local snacks, cold drinks, jewellery and sarongs patrol the area regularly,” offers Hannes. Guests can enjoy the night market and walking street at Fisherman’s Village, where artisans showcase their local-produced and handmade wares. It is an evening of fun and frolic as food carts and entertainment flood the streets.
4. Considered Thailand’s national sport and receiving worldwide acclaim, watching a live Muay Thai fight is often on top of the to-do list when in Thailand. And while Bangkok is at the heart, Koh Samui brings an island fervour to this kickboxing tradition. “As part of Muay Thai Adventure, our Muay Thai Coach Anuphong Deesamer will take guests to Phetch Bancha Samui Boxing Stadium or Chaweng Stadium for an evening of ring-side Muay Thai fights with VIP seats. Anuphong plays perfect host, guiding guests through the nuances of this special martial art,” explains Hannes.
5. There are several hikes and short walks around the island that can easily be accessed for a half-day or full day experience. “Our recommendation is Na Muang Waterfalls, which is set in lush jungle surrounds,” he says. “And Nam Tok Ta Nim Magical Garden – hidden away high in the verdant hills of Koh Samui’s interior – created by Nim Thongsuk (Uncle Nim as he’s fondly called), in memory of his late wife.”