President, Worldwide Hotel Operations
Christian Clerc oversees global hotel operations, ensuring that each Four Seasons hotel and resort in the company’s growing portfolio represents the highest standards of quality and service.
New hotels are being added around the world, both in well-established regions such as North America and Europe, and destinations where the story of Four Seasons is just beginning, such as Latin America. Christian’s mission is twofold: welcome international travellers to new regions who already stay with Four Seasons elsewhere, and introduce the brand to those who may not know it as well yet.
Importantly, Christian also works with the company’s existing hotels as they evolve their product and service offering. A great hotel, says Christian, is constantly reinventing. “Every new Four Seasons is like a laboratory where fresh ideas are tested. That excitement and energy sparks creativity in all our hotels as we continually set the bar higher.”
A hotelier first and foremost, Christian’s increased responsibilities haven’t changed his focus on what’s made Four Seasons such a success story. An unwavering dedication to the guest experience guides him as he collaborates with owners, corporate teams and hotel managers to ensure that the overall execution is consistently excellent down to the tiniest detail, whether it’s the perfect bed, innovative new restaurant and spa concepts, seamless technologies, or service that exceeds expectations.
Noting that luxury hospitality, like luxury goods, relies on the skill of artisans who bring passion to their craft, Christian describes the foundation of the company’s unmatched service culture: “We seek out those who are willing to take a risk, in the moment, to take their work to a higher level. Going above and beyond isn’t the exception to the rule; it’s part of the job description of every Four Seasons employee.”
- At Four Seasons: Joined in 2000 as Hotel Manager in one of the company’s flagship locations, Four Seasons Hotel Washington, DC, and held posts in New York, Chicago and Punta Mita, Mexico before returning to Washington. In 2012, he took over leadership of the legendary Four Seasons Hotel George V, Paris with regional responsibility for Florence, Milan, Geneva and Marrakech. He was promoted to President, Hotel Operations in Europe, the Middle East and Africa in 2014, and to his current position in 2016.
- Previously: Hotels in Geneva, Washington, Rome and Paris
- Education: Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne, Switzerland
- Member of the École hôtelière de Lausanne International Advisory Board
- Words to work by: “Every interaction with a guest is an opportunity.”
- Home is where your family is: Born in Montreux to a Swiss father and an Italian mother, married to an American and with children born in Rome and Washington and now based in Toronto and Washington, Christian and his family make a point of returning to their roots in Switzerland and Italy annually.
- Secret to success: “There’s no question that I owe my career to the support of my wife Meg and my daughters Eleanor and Georgia. We’re taking this journey as a family.”
For further insights into the life of a globetrotting executive’s family, see Christian’s 2012 column in the New York Times.