President, Hotel Operations - Asia Pacific
With responsibility for Four Seasons hotel operations throughout the vast Asia Pacific region, Rainer Stampfer oversees a diverse and growing portfolio of hotels, resorts and private residences as the company continues to strengthen its presence across the region.
Fully one third of Four Seasons development projects are now in Asia Pacific, and China continues to be an area of strategic importance for the company. Leveraging his operational experience as a general manager and regional vice president in China, Rainer leads the regional hotel teams in deepening their knowledge of the world’s largest luxury market, while evolving product and service offerings for visitors to the country and outbound Chinese travellers.
Across the region, from Sydney to Mumbai, Seoul and beyond, Rainer is focused on ensuring today’s sophisticated luxury consumer - from travellers to locals alike - experience the highest standards of quality and the unmatched level of service that they have come to expect in every Four Seasons hotel and resort around the world.
Delivering this level of service excellence consistently means hiring the very best people in every market, and talent development is a key priority for Rainer. Just as the company personalises the guest experience at Four Seasons, so does it customise the career track for its employees, thus placing the right people in the most suitable roles at the optimal time in their careers.
“We’re culture carriers, expressing our brand values through our daily interactions with guests, owners and business partners,” says Rainer. He believes that anticipating, innovating and making subtle, and at times, bold moves is a mantra not just for executives but for every employee of Four Seasons.
“As we move forward, we must distinguish between the decisions that are mission critical – those that require the full force of our expertise and experience – versus those where we can afford to take risks. Our advantage is in the ability of our people to tell the difference.”
- At Four Seasons: Joined Four Seasons in 2001 in the food and beverage division in Boston and spent time in Los Angeles before taking his first General Manager assignment with the opening of Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui; moved to Bangkok to oversee all Thai Four Seasons properties as Regional Vice President in 2008, then moved to Shanghai to open the second Four Seasons in the city in Pudong in 2011 while overseeing a number of other properties in China and Southeast Asia. Rainer was promoted to his current position, based in Singapore, in 2016.
- Early career: Six years at Hyatt hotels and resorts
- Education: Bachelor of Business Administration with a focus on Tourism/Hotel and Restaurant Management, Fachhochschule Munich, Germany; apprenticeship in Hotel Management, Lindner’s Parkhotel Oberstaufen, Germany; seminars in Psychology, Art History and History of the 20th Century, Fachhochschule Munich, Germany
- For the love of beauty: Happy to spend hours in galleries, museums and antique shops, Rainer’s art collection currently includes European old masters and 20th century abstract pieces as well as contemporary Asian art; he particularly treasures abstract expressionism.
- The global family: Born in Germany and married to an Indonesian wife, Rainer’s three daughters hold three passports each and speak four languages – so far.
- Vacation snapshots: Rainer’s favourite memories are the perfect moments of contentment, whether watching elephants by the river in the mists of northern Thailand; seeing architectural history spread at your feet from a Florentine balcony; or watching the bluest sky turn to gold as the sun sets over the Indian Ocean. “When I’m in the Maldives I honestly don’t even need a room – just put me in a deck chair on the beach with a good book and a glass of wine in my hand, and I’m in heaven.”