Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisbon Marks Earth Hour on March 25
Earth Hour began in 2007 in Sydney, Australia. Created by the World Wildlife Fund, it is now an annual event that brings attention to climate change, and for 60 minutes every March, participants all over the world turn off their lights and non-essential electronics.
“At 8:30 pm on March 25 Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisbon will be switching off the famous RITZ blue neon letters on the Hotel’s rooftop to bring awareness to climate change. With its commitment to this WWF initiative, the Hotel aims not only to involve employees, but also guests, and help increase society’s awareness of the importance of looking after our planet for future generations,” explains General Manager Guilherme Costa.
The Hotel will participate in several activities including: turning off exterior signage lighting; dimming or turning off non-essential interior lighting and the Ritz Spa will be warmly lit by candlelight that evening. Guests will also have an especially dedicated in-room amenity created by the Hotel’s Pastry Chef Diogo Lopes.
With this gesture, the Hotel is demonstrating its firm commitment to preserving and regenerating the environment and leaving a positive, enduring impact on its local community.
Below are some of the sustainability initiatives the Hotel has recently implemented:
- An extensive food waste reduction program
- Linens and towels are replaced every third day, unless otherwise requested
- 90 percent of the Hotel’s illumination today is LED, which is energy efficient and has a considerable lifespan
Excess food is donated to the local community through partners at Junta de Freguesia de Campolide and Centro da Sagrada Família (7,173 tons donated in 2022)
- Energy-efficient guest room controls and building systems
- Excess heat from refrigeration is recovered and channeled to heat the swimming pools
- The successful elimination of single-use plastic water bottles and straws
- Putting in place a recycling program that includes cardboard, paper, plastics, glass, aluminum, cooking oil and toner cartridges
- Use of local, sustainable and seasonal ingredients at CURA supporting local suppliers, among others.
Click here to learn more about global Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) efforts at Four Seasons.